Monday, December 17, 2012

2012 in review: Cory Mathis

Cory Mathis

What have been your personal cartooning/comics highlights of 2012?

Finishing another mini-comic and getting up to the Armageddon Expo in Auckland to sell it. Earlier this year I did a week long comics class with Dylan Horrocks. I got heaps from it and was great to meet him.

Who are some of the comics creators that you've discovered and enjoyed for the first time in 2012?

Some local talent - Karl Wills' Princess Seppuku and James Davidson's, Moa. I get totally amped when I discover great stuff being made locally. From overseas, James Stokoe's Orc Stain graphic novel was a wonderful gift from a friend in the States and I'm getting awful excited about Mike Mignola getting back into drawing the next Hellboy arc. Also found the original Nausicaa paperbacks which have completely blown me away.
 
What is something non-comics that you have enjoyed in 2012? 

I play a few video-games and I am finding it exciting the amount of original quirky games coming out by smaller independent studios. The PS3 game, Journey was a particular highlight for me.
 
Have you implemented any significant changes to your working methods this year?

I've been getting into a fair bit of dip-pen inking and watercolours, just to balance out all the digital work. That and pushing myself to use more colour and keeping at the figure studies - yip, student life. I think the most important thing I've done is really slow down and take my time with things, both reading and creating. I have a habit of power-reading and churning out pictures then regretting it later.

What are you looking forward to in 2013?

Bringing it all together! That, and an illustration show early next year. I am working on a series of pieces that has nothing to do with dinosaurs!

No comments: