Tuesday, December 17, 2013

2013 in Review: David C Mahler




What have been your personal cartooning/comics highlights of 2013?

2013 was the year I decided to start reaching some goals. After making a concerted effort to (keyword) start improving my work I released something like seven or eight self published books, which led to an offer from Pikitia Press (ever heard of em?) to put out my first book. So that was a big tick off the list. Outside of my own work, a massive highlight was being able to attend Comic Arts Brooklyn in New York last month. I had the time of my life, meeting so many online friends in real life for the first time, meeting new friends who I know I'll be staying in contact with, and just generally being blown away by the amount of quality alternative cartoonists working today.

What are some of the comics you've enjoyed in 2013?
'A Drifting Life' by Yoshihiro Tatsumi changed my life. My future is better for reading that book. 'The Cartoon Utopia' by Ron Regé Jr. 'Princess Knight' by Osamu Tezuka. 'Backyard' by Sam Alden. 'Mimi and the Wolves' by Alabaster. 'Pen Erases Paper' by Sam Wallman. 'Tender Tinder' by Jeremy Sorese. 'Life Zone' by Simon Hanselmann. 'Black Pillars' by Andrew White. 'Windowpanes 1 and 2' by Joe Kessler.

What is something non-comics that you have enjoyed in 2013? 
Honestly, 2013 was pretty 'comics' for me...is that sad?

What are you looking forward to in 2014?
I have a few more goals I'd like to reach. After CAB I was fortunate enough to be able to travel around the East Coast and Canada, and I made sure to put some of my books aside for various publishers. Nothing's set in stone in the slightest so don't get excited, but putting something out in North America is definitely on my list for the new year. Also, I'll be completing my final year of uni this year, so that's extremely exciting/terrifying.

No comments: